Department: Newton South High School Job Title: Special Programs - Student Life FLSA Status:
(Exempt/Non-exempt) Exempt; Unit A Reports to: Principal, Newton South High School general description (1-3 lines describing role): Unit A position; works with Deans to promote positive school culture and manage student activities; 5 days per week, .5 position. Qualifications: .Teaching Certification
* Excellent communication and organizational skills * Experience working with student activities * Knowledge of and experience with restorative justice practices * Experience with with student discipline and creative interventions * Experience with supervision and evaluation * High energy and good sense of humor
* 5+ years experience at the high school level
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
* Managing school spirit initiatives, including supporting class advisors to plan class-wide events and fundraising initiatives, fostering student voice by leading the Student Leadership Council, and coordinating pep rallies and other spirit-related activities * Meet weekly with class advisors to plan and fundraise for all class events * Create and implement protocols for elected student offices * Attend and manage all class events * Create and implement shared practices and norms for class-wide activities * Plan monthly Student Leadership Council meetings * Identify key elements of school culture and plan agendas that facilitate growth of key elements of school culture * Advertise Student Leadership Council to ensure participation by wide variety of students * Create and lead activities with the Council that promote the growth of a positive school culture
* Initiate, plan, and implement school-wide events such as student voice forums, culture days, guest speakers, talent shows, and Step-Up Day * Collaborate with Deans to make our school values visible within shared spaces * Work with Campus Aids, Librarians, and Custodians to develop criteria for student behavior * Collaborate with Deans to create a plan of action to address these behaviors * Actively engage students in meeting the behavioral expectations * Follow up with stakeholders to gather data on results of initiatives
* Develop and implement restorative justice practices in coordination with Deans' behavioral interventions * Meet weekly with deans to determine which incidents would be appropriate for Restorative Justice * Schedule, facilitate, and follow-through on Restorative Justice Circles including requisite pre-meetings with all stakeholders and post-meeting contract development and implementation * Follow up with necessary stakeholders on the fulfillment of developed contracts
* Create an effective process for efficiently tracking, intervening on, and communicating about student attendance, and collaborate with Assistant Deans and Deans to implement and maintain this system * Check student daily attendance for unexcused absences in all scheduled classes * Communicate with families about unexcused absences * Meet with students to develop personalized intervention plans, including consequences * Maintain regular communication with deans about attendance issues
* Coordinate the advisory program and help to create the requisite activities (for example, House Cup) * Coordinate with deans to manage the Newton South Advisory Program activities * Meet and communicate with all advisors to ensure they are meeting the Program goals * Design lessons and disseminate information on required school-wide and grade-specific advisory activities * Maintain communication lists with all advisors
* Supervise and evaluate campus aides * Consistent and on-time attendance is required * Responsible for implementing \"other job related duties\" as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work Environment: Hallways, common spaces, classrooms, and outdoor spaces. Will have an office, but not expected to be there often! Must be able to hear and see student conduct in addition to being ambulatory around the entire school campus.
Physical Requirements: Movement throughout the school
Date Updated: 5.2.19
Newton Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Newton Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other class as protected by law. The Newton Public Schools places a high value on diversity and active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and staff. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district human resources office.
Associated topics: assistant principal, dean, elementary school principal, executive management, head of school, high school principal, middle school principal, officer, principal, superintendent
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.